By Erin Martz, Hanoch Livneh
Individuals’ responses to their persistent ailment or incapacity (CID) differ greatly. a few are optimistic and effective, a few damaging and self-defeating, and a few have parts of either. Coping with persistent disease and Disabilitysynthesizes the growing to be literature on those coping types and methods by way of interpreting how people with CID face demanding situations, locate and use their strengths, and change their surroundings to slot their life-changing realities.
The book’s first part offers readers with the foremost theories and conceptual views on coping, with specified emphasis on social elements and versions of dealing with kinds of CID. partly , an array of particular health conditions is roofed. every one bankruptcy offers a medical description, present empirical findings on coping, potent scientific, actual, and mental interventions, employment concerns, and social issues. This booklet includes:
- Up-to-date info on dealing with high-profile stipulations, reminiscent of melanoma, middle ailment, diabetes, arthritis, spinal wire accidents, and demanding mind injury
- In-depth insurance of HIV/AIDS, power soreness, and serious psychological illness
- Coverage of healing modalities followed for therapy of individuals with CID
- Review of the present nation of coping conception and research
- Appendix of tools usually utilized in review of coping
The editors’ skillful stability among theoretical and useful fabric might help rehabilitation experts (particularly psychologists, counselors, social employees, and health-care services) strengthen new insights into selling winning coping, and parent new technique of altering its much less potent types. scholars within the assisting professions, in addition to participants experiencing CID, can also locate this multifaceted ebook important for realizing the various psychosocial dynamics of dwelling with CID.
Read Online or Download Coping with Chronic Illness and Disability: Theoretical, Empirical, and Clinical Aspects PDF
Best physical medicine & rehabilitation books
Now, greater than ever, the sphere of rehabilitation psychology is starting to be. This book--one of the few that focuses completely on rehabilitation psychology research--provides the reader with the main updated examine learn and perform in the box of rehabilitation psychology. It bargains concepts for destiny study courses, coverage alterations, and scientific interventions from some of the views inside of rehabilitation psychology study and perform, and seeks to illustrate how a lot the sphere can evolve with the implementation of those adjustments.
The recent technological advances opened broadly the appliance box of robots. Robots are relocating from the classical program situation with based business environments and tedious repetitive initiatives to new software environments that require extra interplay with the people. it really is during this context that the concept that of Wearable Robots (WRs) has emerged.
Within the third variation of ache approaches in scientific perform, Dr. Ted Lennard is helping you provide the simplest care for your sufferers by way of taking you thru many of the techniques to ache reduction utilized in physiatry this present day. during this thoroughly up-to-date, procedure-focused quantity, you can find approximately a decade worthy of recent advancements and strategies supplemented by way of a complete on-line video choice of how-to tactics at www.
People with disabilities that hamper their diversity of movement frequently have hassle having access to applied sciences. With using computer-based assistive expertise; units, instruments, and providers can be utilized to keep up and enhance the useful features of motor disabilities. Assistive applied sciences and machine entry for Motor Disabilities investigates options to the problems of impaired know-how entry by means of highlighting the foundations, tools, and complex technological ideas for people with motor impairments.
- PNF in Practice: An Illustrated Guide
- Psychological Management of Physical Disabilities: A Practitioner's Guide
- Rehabilitation - A Post-critical Approach
- Körperpsychotherapie: Grundriss einer Theorie für die klinische Praxis
- Adolescents and Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Management of Chronic Conditions in the Foot and Lower Leg
Additional resources for Coping with Chronic Illness and Disability: Theoretical, Empirical, and Clinical Aspects
C. (1993). How coping mediates the effect of optimism on distress: A study of women with early stage breast cancer. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 65, 375–390. Carver, C. , & Scheier, M. F. (1994). Situational coping and coping dispositions in a stressful transaction. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 66, 184–199. Centers for Disease Control. (2006a). Disability. htm. Centers for Disease Control. (2006b). Life expectancy. htm. Chronic Illness Alliance. (2006). Chronic illness alliance website.
Reicherts, M. (1992). Stress, coping, and health: A situation-behavior approach, theory, methods, applications. Seattle, WA: Hogrefe & Huber. Porter, L. , & Stone, A. A. (1996). An approach to assessing daily coping. In M. Zeidner & N. S. ), Handbook of coping: Theory, research, applications (pp. 133–150). New York: John Wiley and Sons. , & Cohen, L. J. (1986). Approach, avoidance, and coping with stress. American Psychologist, 41, 813–819. Schlossberg, N. K. (1981). A model for analyzing human adaptation to transition.
6. Maintaining a positive self-image and psychological well-being. 7. Increasing tolerance of negative events and situations or changing those situations that trigger stressful experiences. 8. Controlling the meaning of the stressful experiences, so as to thwart their deleterious nature. 9. Reducing existing psychological stress, or conflict, while it is being experienced. 10. Maximizing the probability of returning to pre-stress activities. Lazarus and Folkman (1984) attempted to summarize these functions into two overarching functional categories of problem-focused and emotion-focused 14 Livneh and Martz coping.
Coping with Chronic Illness and Disability: Theoretical, Empirical, and Clinical Aspects by Erin Martz, Hanoch Livneh
Categories: Physical Medicine Rehabilitation